Monday, November 19, 2007

Sonship and Finding Direction

What is it to be a son, Father? How can I act more appropriately for you?

If you love me, you will obey what I command. John 14:15

Wow, what is your command, Father?

This is my command: love one another. John 15:17

But how can I? What is the appropriate thing to do day to day? When I get pulled over for an expired ticket, what should I do? When I like a girl but do not see the resources with my natural eyes to move forward, what should I do? When I want to serve the man of God in my home town but feel called to fulfill a mission in another land, what should I do?

Father, what should I do?!

I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever. John 14:16

When I was in Vero Beach, Father, I ran around looking for where you would have me serve. I tried to diligently serve the man of God. I tried to meet with my faithful friend, and get her to open up. I tried to return to the place of serving the ministry that I was at before I left for Lakeland over a year ago. I felt, though, that I didn’t fulfill the things on my heart. I flouted your command for me to write. I let the time slip away. I did not wake up early in the morning to pray. I did not take my time to read and study. Even though I made sure that I worked out, as well as kept from old habits, I still feel that it was almost misuse of resources.

While you were doing all these things, declares the Lord, I spoke to you again and again, but you did not listen. I called you, but you did not answer. – Jeremiah 7:13

Forgive me, Father. Forgive me for being distracted. I am here. I am listening. Guide me once again, Father.

The word of the Lord came to me again: “What do you see?” – Jeremiah 1:13a

I see much, Father. I see a downtrodden church body. I see old, stale bread in most houses. But, “a, Sovereign Lord,” I said, “I do not know how to speak; I am only a child.” – Jeremiah 1:6

But the Lord said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am only a child.’ You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. – Jeremiah 1:7

Yes, Father. Amen. So be it as you have said unto me. I will speak. I will speak with my words. I will speak with my writing. I will exercise the obedience that I have been writing about. Your will be done in my life, Father.

No comments: