Thursday, March 7, 2013

Everyone a Rookie Missionary

About to Launch; What About Your Leap?

Having just recently returned from being on the field for the last 9 months, I have returned to a changed world. And I like it.

Everyone in my community are in a major transition in their lives. It is not always an externally critical moment. Many times there is a massive internal adjustment happening.

Rookie Missionary launched while we were on the field in the Dominican Republic because we were constantly encountering people who want to do huge things on the field. Some were motivated by basic evangelical yearnings. Most, however, just wanted to help vulnerable people in a massive way. I have a passion to help this latter group.

You see, being a Rookie Missionary is someone on the edge of their seat about to launch a mission. Hear me on this; they are people about to launch any mission.

A mission is that cause, that need, that art, you cannot let go. It lives in between the cells in your marrow. It ekes out in the in-between moments.

A Type of Freedom

As the world spins out of control, as popes quit, comets hit, Chavez dips, and the economy flips, we arrive at a type of freedom. We quickly accept that we can really trust very little of others' dreams. That is when we begin to dream again.

And when we dream, we quiet ourselves to listen to our internal dreamer, our spirit. And it is crying out to us from our marrow and reminding us of the thing we are passionate about. It is reminding us of our calling. It is reminding us of our mission.

You see, we are all Rookie Missionaries, striking out anew on a mission on our heart.

Speaking at MOPS I encountered
many passionate people with their
own causes and drives.
As an example, in returning to Lakeland, I have encountered no less than 4 different small teams of people wanting to launch a cause.

Many point and say, "See, the non-profit segment is inundated!"

I say, "Look! Passionate people rising!"

In fact, there has been so much interest that I am considering putting on a Saturday session, bring in professionals, and help launch these wonderful causes.

They, like you, need massive professional input. They, like you, need to get acquainted with the ins and outs of your cause, of the non-profit sector, and of high-lid leadership skills for the humanitarian field.

We need to equip.
We need to learn.
We need to implement, or partner with implementers.

I say all this to say that I am deeply encouraged.

I am deeply hopeful. Light up the cause in your heart. Light up the mission under your skin. Let me know if I can help. (And, let me know if you want to be involved in a powerful session, too!)

Now, go out, be a Rookie Missionary on something, and let us know how you're doing!

No comments: